Jacksboro is the county seat of Campbell County. In 1808 Col. Hugh Montgomery deeded sixty (60) acres of land in what was then known as Walnut Cove. The new town was named Jacksborough in honor of Judge John Jack of Rutledge. The first school house in Jacksboro was built by John Queener at a cost of $309.80. Completed about 1860, a later school, known as the Franklin Academy, was considered one of the best educational institutions in the area. Jacksboro was occupied by both the North and South during the Civil War and changed hands on several different occasions. Jacksboro was briefly the headquarters of General Felix Zollicoffer CSA and also served as the site of a Civil War hospital.
Numerous courthouses have occupied the current site with the present courthouse being a replacement for the one destroyed by fire in 1926. Later additions and renovations have occurred over the years and today the courthouse is a modern-up-to-date facility. The courthouse grounds also contain a monument to WWII veterans as well as a new veterans memorial with plans to begin construction on a rotunda as part of the veterans memorial complex.
While the old part of the City retains its original charm, the City of Jacksboro is experiencing an ongoing construction boom as new businesses and homes spring up almost daily. Thus, the Jacksboro of today well represents the blending of tradition with progress as befits the county seat.